Top 13 questions:
business tax


How do I get my VAT number?

When you register your company at your local Chamber of Commerce (kamer van Koophandel), it will normally inform the tax office and generate a VAT number. This is called a BTW number, and it will normally allow you to reclaim Dutch VAT paid on your purchases and to charge VAT to your clients.

Which business entity is best ?

There are several business structures: some are legal entities and some are not. If you set up a structure that is a legal entity, a notary needs to draw up the papers including your registration at the Chamber of Commerce (KVK). If you choose a business structure that is not a legal entity, you will be personally liable for your company’s debts, with your private capital. To find out what's best for you, click here or contact us.  

How do I file VAT?

You must file a VAT return if you receive a VAT demand. This usually happens once a quarter. You have two months to send back a paper or digital return, even if you have not conducted any business in the Netherlands during that period or are due a VAT refund.  You can authorize your accountant to file for you.

Does Blue Umbrella support businesses with international clients?

Blue Umbrella supports companies with international customers, as long as the business itself is taxable in the Netherlands.

Can Blue Umbrella help me with the DAFT application?

One of the requirements of the DAFT (Dutch American Friendship Treaty) residence permit is a balance sheet, which must be reviewed and signed off by an external expert. Blue Umbrella can do this for you.  Find out more

Which business expenses are deductible?

Business expenses are the costs your business incurs to generate revenue. Some can be deducted fully or partly from your income to reduce your tax liability. These include costs for registering at the KVK, rental costs for business premises and internet subscriptions. If you have costs that also relate to personal use, you can only deduct the business part. Investments in business assets must be spread over several years.  Find out more 

How much tax do I pay as a business owner?

If you are in business, you are legally obliged to file certain taxes and keep correct records. If you are self-employed as a sole trader, the profit from your business activity is taxed as income (Box 1 taxation). Profit from a business entity falls under business profit tax (Vennootschapsbelasting).  Find out more

Can I save for a pension as an entrepreneur?

There used to be a tax ruling called the fiscale oudedagreserve (FOR) that meant you could put aside part of your business profit and draw it down later for retirement. This tax ruling was scrapped from 2023. In previous years, you could put aside up to 9.8% of your business profit if you spent more than 1,225 hours on your business that year, were under retirement age, generated profit, and had greater assets in your ongoing company than the amount put aside.

How do I buy a company car?

If you need a car for your business, there are two options. You could buy the car in the name of your company, or you could use your private car for business purposes. Keep in mind that the second option has consequences for your income tax and VAT.  Find out more 

Can I apply for a business tax extension?

It is possible to receive an extension on the due date for business tax, but it is sensible to request this in good time to avoid missing the deadline. Interest charges may apply if you file late or miss a payment due. 

Are utility bills deductible when I have a business?

Some bills may be deductible when you work from home, in certain circumstances. You may need to contact the Dutch tax office about your personal situation. Blue Umbrella can advise you. 

Which housing expenses are deductible?

If you are an owner-occupier of a property in the Netherlands, you can get a refund on some of the financing costs. This tax break is gradually being reduced. The level of the benefit depends on the tax year and the year when you first took out a mortgage.  Find out more

When am I entitled to tax credits for being an entrepreneur?

Several tax credits are available for entrepreneurs. The first is the entrepreneur allowance (ondernemersaftrek), which is deducted from profit.  It includes an allowance for private business ownership, tax relief for new companies, working partner's reduction, tax credit for R&D, and tax relief if you are unfit for work or stop the company but still have a profit. The maximum rate for the entrepreneur allowance is 36.93% in 2023, 40% in 2022 and 43% in 2021. You need to work at least 1,225 hours a year in your own company (800 hours if you have an occupational disability), must spend more than 50% of working time on your company and be considered an entrepreneur for tax purposes, making a profit from your business.  Find out more