Blue Tax

Dutch Income Tax Return Filing


STEP 1 Register for free
STEP 2 Check in MyBlue login

Your MyBlue Page login provides important information about your subscription. It contains your personal tax questionnaires and provides tracking information about your tax filing status. Once we have done the calculations and completed your tax filing report, we place it on your MyBlue Page. Together with all the other relevant documents.  

STEP 3 Complete a simple to use tax questionnaire

Once registered, with your MyBlue Page login, you have at your disposal tax questionnaires for all tax years, up to five years in retrospect. You answer simple questions about your life. We do the calculations and the optimizations.

A separate tax questionnaire is available to file for your provisional income tax return for the current tax year. This is to reclaim your running expenses for, e.g. residential home mortgages, upfront on a provisional basis.

  • Each individual (residential and non-residential) is required to declare his or her income if requested by the Dutch Tax Office. 
  • If you have not received a request from the Dutch Tax Office, you may still want to declare your income tax, as you may be entitled to an Income Tax refund (eligible within 5 years). Did you know you can earn money back?
    The amount of payroll tax your employer withholds on your salary is not compensating you for non-standard tax credits, such us a broken tax year (you migrated at some point in the tax year, you incurred tax deductible expenses (mortgage, study or medical expenses) or you have a non-working spouse). These tax deductible can be reclaimed.
  • At Blue Umbrella it is simple, straightforward, English and completely online. Even better, it is affordable at a flat fee of € 135 per income tax return filing (€ 185 for a couple).
  • We process all types of Dutch income tax return filings for the same fee. No matter how complex your non-business personal tax situation might be. This service is also available for internationals enjoying the 30 percent ruling.

    What is the '30 percent ruling' facility?

    If you come to work in the Netherlands, you are possibly experiencing extra costs, so-called extraterritorial costs. Your employer may grant you a free (untaxed) reimbursement for the extraterritorial costs that you incur. Your employer may also provide you with 30 percent of your wage (including reimbursement) tax-free. This facility is known as the 30 percent facility. For this facility, it is not required to prove that expenses have been incurred.
    • Extraterritorial costs for the 30 percent facility

      • Additional 'costs of living', because prices in the Netherlands might be higher than those in the country of origin. Examples of these extra expenses include meals, gas, water and electricity.
      • Costs incurred for a trip to the Netherlands to get acquainted with the country, possibly with your family and for example searching for a new house or a school.
      • Costs to apply for or convert official personal documents, such as residency permits, visa’s and driver’s licenses.
      • Costs for medical tests and vaccinations for staying in the Netherlands
      • Double accommodation costs if you maintain your residence in the country of origin; for example hotel or other accommodation costs.
      • Storage costs for that part of your household effects, that you will not move to the Netherlands.
      • Traveling costs incurred to the country of origin; for example a family visit or family reunion.
      • Additional charges for having your income tax return filled in if this appears to be more expensive than having this tax return filled in by an equal tax adviser in the country of origin.
      • The costs of following a course to learn the Dutch language for you and your family members accompanying you.
      • Additional (non-business related) costs for telephone calls abroad to the country of origin.

      Tax-free reimbursements in addition to the 30 percent facility

      In addition to the '30 percent ruling' facility, the school fees for an international school or international department of an ordinary school can be reimbursed free of tax.

      Only permitted if the curriculum at this school and/or department is based on a foreign system. And only applicable to children from seconded employees. 

    How to apply?

    You need the Dutch Tax Office's permission to apply to this facility. To obtain, you and your employer should submit an application. You are eligible for this allowance if your personal situation does meet certain requirements. You can file an application, together with your employer, using the form 'Verzoek toepassing 30 per cent-regeling'. You can download this form ('application for the 30 percent facility to be applied'; only in Dutch) or call the Tax Information Line Non-resident Tax Issues.

    Tax Information Line for Non-resident Tax Issues

    Telephone number: +31(055)5385385 Opening hours: Monday to Thursday: 08.00 - 20.00 hrs. Friday: 08.00 - 17.00 hrs.

  • Do you know that you can receive a tax refund upfront by applying for a provisional income tax refund (for example for the mortgage rebate)? We can help you with the provisional income tax refund for only € 75. 

    When do you receive a tax refund?

    Are you employed or do you receive a benefit? In that case you pay taxes on your income because your employer or benefits agency withholds wage tax and national insurance contributions. However, your employer or benefits agency does not fully take into account your personal household situation. 

    You may therefore be entitled to a tax credit or have deductible items such as the mortgage rebate ('hypotheekrenteaftrek') based on an owner-occupied house, and/or study, medical or special childcare expenses.

    Do you expect to receive an income tax refund this year, not necessarily you have to await next year for your tax refund. Already now it is possible to receive a provisional tax refund. Let us do the work for you and apply for your provisional income tax refund. You will be entitled to receive a monthly refund this year on the basis of a preliminary assessment. Once you have applied for a provisional tax refund for the first time, you will automatically receive a provisional tax refund in each fiscal year.