For U.S. citizens and resident aliens we can prepare and file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for a low, set cost. If you also need to file details with your state and city, Blue Umbrella can help for an additional fee.
Online filing, affordable and easy.
- Sign up with Blue Umbrella
- We work out your obligations, discounts and tax owed
- If you have additional needs, we will quote for this work
- We file your documents for you
- Our experts help you keep your U.S. (and Dutch) taxes straight and avoid penalties
Individual income tax return for U.S. citizens
If you are a U.S. citizen or “resident alien” (who meets certain tests), you must still file your income, estate and gift tax returns with the IRS. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you live. You must file the required documents even if you do not have to pay any tax. You may, for instance, be able to exclude or deduct costs such as Dutch housing.
You may also have state and city filing requirements, and Blue Umbrella can help here too for a competitive fee (€150 incl VAT per state).
The rules for income, estate, gift tax returns and paying estimated taxes are broadly the same as if you were living in the United States.
The regular tax filing due date is 15 April. U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the U.S. receive an automatic extension of 2 months for their tax filing due date to 15 June.
If you do not file a required tax return by the due date, the IRS may charge you a penalty for failing to file plus an interest penalty on the taxes you owe. Interest will also accrue on any unpaid balance from the day the return was due.
Missed the due date for previous years?
Filing past due tax returns with the IRS
Having past due tax returns is a serious issue with the IRS. The IRS keeps a record of taxpayers who are required to file but don’t. Based upon prior tax records, the IRS may file a return for you without any credits or deduction in your favor. This so-called substitute tax return will result in (extra) taxes and fines. We can file your U.S. past due tax returns and help you avoid expensive penalties and stiff interest charges.
Blue Umbrella tax services
- Experienced tax advisors
- Fully online
- Flat fee; no additional costs
- All your taxes in one place (Dutch and U.S.)
Blue Umbrella U.S. Tax Return Service
- Filing standard expat forms (1040, 1116, 2555)
- All standard schedules (A, B, C, D, E – for one rental property)
- Up to three schedule K-1s
- Up to 20 bank and brokerage transactions
- Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) Form – up to 5 accounts