U.S. Expat Tax Return

€315 basic fee, incl VAT

For U.S. citizens and resident aliens, we can prepare and file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for a low, set cost. If you also need to file details with your state and city, Blue Umbrella can help for an additional fee.  

Online filing, affordable and easy.  

  1. Sign up with Blue Umbrella 
  2. We work out your obligations, discounts and tax owed
  3. If you have additional needs, we will quote for this work  
  4. We file your documents for you 
  5. Our experts help you keep your U.S. (and Dutch) taxes straight and avoid penalties 

Questions?   Sign up free   

U.S. Expat Tax Meeting

Request a U.S. Expat Tax Consultation meeting with a U.S. tax specialist to discuss your expat U.S. tax situation in person.  

More information   

Filing US taxes - international taxpayers

Individual income tax return for U.S. citizens

If you are a U.S. citizen or “resident alien” (who meets certain tests), you must still file your income, estate and gift tax returns with the IRS. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you live. You must file the required documents even if you do not have to pay any tax. You may, for instance, be able to exclude or deduct costs such as Dutch housing. 

You may also have state and city filing requirements, and Blue Umbrella can help here too for a competitive fee (€160 incl VAT per state).  

The rules for income, estate, gift tax returns and paying estimated taxes are broadly the same as if you were living in the United States.  

The regular tax filing due date is 15 April. U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the U.S. receive an automatic extension of 2 months for their tax filing due date to 15 June


If you do not file a required tax return by the due date, the IRS may charge you a penalty for failing to file plus an interest penalty on the taxes you owe. Interest will also accrue on any unpaid balance from the day the return was due.  

Missed the due date for previous years?

We can start Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures with the IRS for you, to correct unreported offshore and foreign assets for previous years. You may qualify for penalty relief or a first-time penalty abatement (FTA) waiver and legally avoid a penalty for prior non-compliance. 

Filing past due tax returns with the IRS

Having past due tax returns is a serious issue with the IRS. The IRS keeps a record of taxpayers who are required to file but don’t. Based upon prior tax records, the IRS may file a return for you without any credits or deduction in your favor. This so-called substitute tax return will result in (extra) taxes and fines. We can file your U.S. past due tax returns and help you avoid expensive penalties and stiff interest charges.  

Blue Umbrella tax services

Blue Umbrella has more than 10 years of experience serving the international community in the Netherlands. Today, we are the largest tax advisory business for internationals here. You pay a fixed monthly subscription fee, which gives you unlimited access to our resources. No additional cost for extra hours will be invoiced and our services are conveniently based online. 

Let us handle your U.S. tax return and save yourself costs and hassle. 
  • Experienced tax advisors 
  • Fully online 
  • Flat fee; no additional costs 
  • All your taxes in one place (Dutch and U.S.)  

Blue Umbrella U.S. Tax Return Service

We offer our services for a flat fee of €315 incl VAT, which includes: 
  • Filing standard expat forms (1040, 1116, 2555) 
  • All standard schedules (A, B, C, D, E – for one rental property) 
  • Up to three schedule K-1s 
  • Up to 20 bank and brokerage transactions 
  • Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) Form – up to 5 accounts 
If you have more obligations, once you have signed up with Blue Umbrella, we will send you a competitive quote for the total extra work.

Contact us

For more information, see our in-depth FAQ section on U.S. income tax filing or contact us. We will be happy to help.