RNI Registration

The Non-Residents Registration (RNI) is part of the Dutch Civil Registry (BRP). It contains data of persons who do not live in the Netherlands (anymore) or who live in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. 

The RNI contains, for example, the personal data of Dutch nationals who have left the Netherlands, frontier workers, or migrant workers who are staying in the Netherlands for a short period of time. Your details are also in the RNI if you live abroad and receive AOW or pension from the Netherlands. 

How will my personal info get in the RNI?

If you are going to live outside the Netherlands, you must deregister with your municipality. The municipality will transfer your personal data to the RNI. Otherwise, you can register with one of the 19 Dutch municipalities with an RNI counter. Please note; you have to register for the RNI in person. If you want to register anyone else, for example, a child, then that person must be present as well.

It is also possible for a government agency to enroll you in the RNI because they need to do business with you.

With which details am I registered in the Non-Residents Registration (RNI)?

You can check via MijnOverheid with which data you are registered in the Non-Residents Registration (RNI). You can also check with one of the 19 RNI counters in the Netherlands.

Data in the RNI:
  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Gender
  • Nationality
  • Residential address outside the Netherlands
  • Temporary residential address in the Netherlands (if applicable)
  • Contact information
  • Residence permit
  • Social Security Number (BSN)
The moment you move abroad, some data in the RNI are no longer updated. These are details that change after you have moved abroad. These data will not be updated until you register in the Netherlands again. This concerns, for example, your marital status or your children.

What to bring with you for the RNI-registration

  • valid identification (e.g. passport, identity card)
For children under the age of 16:
  • valid identification
  • original birth certificate or extract of the original birth certificate
  • at least one of the parents must be present

Make sure your data in the RNI is correct

Does your data change? Then report the changes to the RNI so that Dutch (government) organizations can still contact you.

Not registered with the RNI?

Did you deregister from a Dutch municipality before October 1, 1994? If so, you may not be registered in the RNI>