When to file your U.S. taxes

The regular tax filing due date is 15 April. U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the U.S. receive an automatic extension of 2 months for their tax filing due date to 15 June. Note that you are required to pay any tax due by 15 April regardless. Interest charges over tax payments due apply after 15 April. 

You can request an additional 6-month extension to file your U.S. taxes by 15 October. To obtain the 6-month extension, file Form 4868 or ask a tax professional such as Blue Umbrella to help you do this. Note that you are required to pay your (provisional) taxes due by 15 April to avoid interest charges. 

You normally cannot get an extension of more than 6 months. However, if you are outside the United States and meet certain requirements, you may be able to get a longer extension.