You can become a Dutch citizen through naturalization. The application procedure to follow is with your local municipality. The conditions to be eligible for naturalization are:
- you need to be 18 years or over
- you lived, uninterrupted, for at least five years in The Netherlands (some exceptions apply)
- you a valid residence permit during your stay in the Netherlands (EU/EEA and Switzerland citizens excluded)
- some of the integration criteria (such as speaking sufficiently Dutch) apply
- You are not involved in criminal proceedings. No convictions or criminal records.
- You renounce your current citizenship (exceptions apply)
- You are willing to take an oath of solidarity
Contact the IND or your local municipality for more information.
Living and working in the Netherlands for a time? We can help you with your Dutch taxes, so you don't have to deal with the Belastingdienst yourself. Whether you're employed or have a small business, we'll make your life easier and save you money.