Motor vehicle tax or road tax

Do you have a motor vehicle registered in your name? Then you do not have to file a separate vehicle tax return. The registration is also your tax return. The Tax Office automatically receives the necessary data from the RDW.

The Dutch Tax Office will send you an invoice shortly afterward. The invoice will state the amount you have to pay in road tax. It does not matter whether you use the motor vehicle on the road or park it on private property.

Please note: You remain responsible for paying motor vehicle taxes on time. Have you had a motor vehicle registered in your name and you do not receive a bill from the Dutch Tax Office in 1 month? In that case, please contact the tax authorities yourself.

How much motor vehicle tax do I pay?

How much motor vehicle or road tax you pay depends on the type of motor vehicle you have. In addition, the following factors, are of influence:
  • the weight of the vehicle
  • the fuel
  • how environmentally polluting the vehicle is
  • in which province the holder is located

How to pay road tax

You can choose how you want to pay your motor vehicle tax (formerly known as road tax). You can pay:
  • per month with a direct debit.
    The amount is debited around the 28th of the month.
  • quarterly with an invoice

Don't be late

You must pay the motor vehicle tax on time. The due date for payment is on the bill you get from the Dutch Tax Office. If you do not pay in full or too late, you may receive an additional charge. If you authorize the Dutch Tax Office to debit the motor vehicle tax automatically, you avoid paying late and risking a fine.

Additional tax notice

have you paid too little or no motor vehicle tax? For example, because you did not report the installation of a gas system to the RDW? Or because you use the road during the suspension of your motor vehicle? Then you will receive an additional assessment with a fine that is as high as the original assessment.The Dutch Tax Office checks with camera images and customs data, among other things. They also have information such as fines and official reports. They are able to look back one full year.

Objection and appeal

You can object to an additional tax assessment. Ans against a rejection of your request for an exemption or special rate. Does the Tax Office reject your objection or request and do you disagree? Then you  can appeal to the court within 6 weeks of the date of the rejection.


If you meet certain conditions, you will receive an exemption. This means you pay no or less motor vehicle tax.

The exemption for vintage cars applies to all motor vehicles that were first put into service at least 40 years ago. For trucks and buses, this exemption only applies if you do not use them for business purposes. 

Other exemptions
You can apply for an exemption for a number of motor vehicles. This applies, for example, to the following motor vehicles: 
  • a truck or bus that was first put into use at least 40 years ago and is not used for business purposes
  • a passenger car, van, or motorcycle that was first put into use at keast 40 years ago
  • police motor vehicles
  • fire engine
  • an ambulance
  • hearse
  • an animal ambulance
  • a garbage truck
  • a drian cleaner
  • a street sweeper
  • road construction and maintenance vehicles
  • a motor vehicle with foreign registratiohn number
  • a motor vehicle with wheelchair installation (partial exemption)
  • a (taxi)cab