When you arrive (back) in the Netherlands, your first tax year as a resident will be a little different. Instead of filing normal tax forms online, you need to fill out the M-form (in Dutch, M-aangifte) for the belastingdienst Dutch tax office. 

The M-form, which stands for “migration”, tells the belastingdienst how to treat a special tax year when you were not resident here for the whole time.  

You may have had income tax deducted by your employer as though whole-year allowances applied. This means you might have overpaid and be due an extra tax refund. 

59-page booklet in Dutch

If you try to fill out the normal form online, unfortunately, you will not be alerted to the fact that this is not correct for your situation. Instead, the Dutch tax office will probably reject your tax return and post you a 59-page booklet to fill in, all in Dutch. This is the M-form. 

The Dutch tax office does not give you an option to fill this in online. It is not available in English. If you ignore this form, your tax return will remain unfiled, and you risk a fine! 

Date of arrival

Many expats get confused about their tax date of arrival. This is not the date when you actually arrived in the Netherlands. It is the date that you were registered at your municipality (gemeente) or at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is the date you must use, otherwise your tax return will be rejected. 

M-form in English thanks to Blue Umbrella!

Our normal Dutch income tax return price of €135 for a single individual and €185 for a family, including VAT, also includes filling in the M form for you. We have special software that connects with the Dutch tax office so that we can do this online.  

All you have to do is fill in our normal questionnaire, in plain English and a few simple clicks. We do the rest for you – a real perk of the service! 

Blue Umbrella for Dutch tax matters

Living and working in the Netherlands for a time? We can help you with your Dutch taxes, so you don't have to deal with the Belastingdienst yourself. Whether you're employed or have a small business, we'll make your life easier and save you money.