When to file taxes?

Dutch Income tax return due date

The Dutch income tax return due date is May 1st in the year following the fiscal tax year. Income tax return filings submitted before April 1st will be processed by the Dutch tax office within three months. It is possible to receive extension on the due date upon a timely request. Note that interest charges may apply if you a payment due on your income tax return filing. 

Per request from the Dutch tax office

If the Dutch tax office needs more information about your income position, they will send you a request to file your income tax return. This request is usually send per hard-copy letter to your home address (the address at which you are registered with you local municipality. 

Voluntary if you received multiple income components

Even if you do not receive a request from the Dutch tax office to file your income tax return, you may be required to do so 'voluntary'. This applies if your received other income components next to your (main) employment with a Dutch employer. For instance, if you receive income from other activities.

Voluntary if you are eligible for a tax refund

If you do not receive a request from the Dutch tax office to file your income tax return, you may be want to do so voluntary. For instance because you are entitled to a tax refund for a broken year (when you arrived or left at some point in a tax year), study expenses, medical expenses, mortgage and residential home purchase.  See also under Personal Allowance. You'll need to file your income tax return to receive a refund.  Even if you did not work and are no taxes due for a given tax year in which you made tax deductible expenses, you need to file your income tax return for that particular tax year. The actual refund may be given at a later tax year when you are paying income tax. 

Income tax return filing when exempted from Dutch income tax

If you are exempt from Dutch income tax, for instance because you work for an international treaty organization or a diplomatic mission you may need to declare your worldwide income. For instance, if you received Dutch childcare allowance.  

If the Dutch Tax Office sends you an invitation to file your income (tax), you are required to follow-up on their request. Your income tax exempt status will not be affected if your file your income tax. If you have not received an invitation to file your income tax, you may still be required to declare your income to the Dutch Tax Office. This could be the case if your received an allowance, for which the Dutch Tax Office needs to determine your actual (world) income for the calendar year for which you received the allowance. You will receive a form from the Dutch Tax Office to declare your world income or your Not in the Netherlands taxed income (NiNBI). No action is required from you until you receive an invitation from the Tax Office.

When to file your U.S. taxes

The regular tax filing due date is 15 April. U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the U.S. receive an automatic extension of 2 months for their tax filing due date to 15 JuneNote that you are required to pay any tax due by 15 April regardless. Interest charge over tax payment due applies after 15 April. 

You can request an additional 6 month extension to file your U.S. taxes by 15 October. To obtain the 6 month extension, file Form 4868 or ask a tax professional such as Blue Umbrella.  Note that you are required to pay your, provisional, taxes due by 15 April to avoid interest charges. 

You generally cannot get an extension of more than 6 months. However, if you are outside the United States and meet certain requirements, you may be able to get a longer extension. 

Blue Umbrella for Dutch tax matters

Living and working in the Netherlands for a time? We can help you with your Dutch taxes, so you don't have to deal with the Belastingdienst yourself. Whether you're employed or have a small business, we'll make your life easier and save you money.