Dutch child benefit

Once you become a resident of the Netherlands or when you start living working in the Netherlands, you will automatically be covered under the Dutch social insurance system. You will build up rights to the Dutch state pension (AOW) and you will qualify for child benefit. The insurance in your home country where you lived or worked previously will terminate.

Child benefit available to most residents in the Netherlands

Child benefit is a contribution from the Dutch state in the cost for raising children up to the age of 18 years old. The contribution is independent from your income and available for parents living en/or working in the Netherlands with a few notable exceptions (see below). 

You qualify for the child benefit if you for bring-up and care for a child of your own, but also:

  • an adopted child;
  • a foster child;
  • a stepchild;
  • another child you bring-up and care for as if it were your own child.

Exemptions from Dutch child benefit

Parents living and working the Netherlands may be eligible for child benefit. Excepts are: 
  • You work in the Netherlands and are insured for social security in another country
  • You are studying but not working in the Netherlands
  • You work for an international transport organisation located outside the Netherlands. You primarily transport people or goods outside the Netherlands
  • You are seconded to the Netherlands as a non Netherlands staff member for administrative, technical or service tasks for a diplomatic mission or consular post to the Netherlands working less than 10 years
  • You work outside the Netherlands without a secondment statement
  • You work for an employer located outside the Netherlands or you are self-employed for business activities outside the Netherlands
Representatives of diplomatic missions or consular posts to the Netherlands and civil workers of international treatment organisations may qualify for the Dutch child benefit.

Applying to Dutch child benefit

To apply for the Dutch child benefit register your child with your local municipality (see under Expat in the Netherlands/Arrival and Registration. After registration the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) will send you a letter a 3 to 6 weeks. With this letter you can register for child benefit through the DiGiD portal. 

Child benefit payments

The child benefit is paid four times per year, at the end of each quarter, by the Social Verzekeringsbank (SVB). The amount of child benefit depends on the age of the child and where it lives. The child benefit is raised when your child turns 6 years old. It is raised again when it turns 12 years old.  More information about child benefit can be found on the website of the Social Verzekeringsbank (SVB). 

Blue Umbrella for Dutch tax matters

Living and working in the Netherlands for a time? We can help you with your Dutch taxes, so you don't have to deal with the Belastingdienst yourself. Whether you're employed or have a small business, we'll make your life easier and save you money.