Health care allowance
The health care allowance ('zorgtoeslag') is a state subsidy towards the costs of a Dutch health care insurance plan. It is mandatory to have this kind of insurance in the Netherlands. The allowance is available for residents on a low income.
- you are at least 18 years old
- you have a Dutch health care insurance
- you are a Dutch national or you have a valid residence permit
- your income (jointly with your fiscal partner) does not exceed a set maximum (see below)
- your assets (jointly with your fiscal partner) do not exceed a set maximum (see below)
The Dutch parliament sets eligibility ceilings each year for the health care allowance.
The ceilings as of 1 January of the applicable year are:
|Year||Income ceiling||Income ceiling with partner||Max assets||Max assets with partner combined|
Living and working in the Netherlands for a time? We can help you with your Dutch taxes, so you don't have to deal with the Belastingdienst yourself. Whether you're employed or have a small business, we'll make your life easier and save you money.