Disabled children often need extra care. If your child lives at home, you may qualify for a care allowance (TOG) to help you provide that extra care.

For the 1st and 2nd quarters of 2008, the allowance is € 206.24. As from 1 July 2008, the allowance is € 210.08 per quarter. This amount will first be paid for the 3rd quarter of 2008. The allowance is paid after the end of the quarter concerned.

If you wish to claim a TOG care allowance, ask for a claim pack from the TOG department of the SVB (“Sociale Verzekeringsbank”) office in Roermond, telephone number +31(0)475 368040.

Main qualifying conditions

You can qualify for a care allowance if you live in the Netherlands and are the parent or carer of a handicapped child aged from 3 to 17 who lives at home with you.

A child is considered disabled for the purposes of the TOG scheme if he or she:

  • has a physical or mental illness or disorder;
  • which causes restrictions (the handicap);
  • resulting in the child being substantially more dependent on care, assistance and supervision than a healthy child of the same age.

Assessment of the handicap

The handicap will be assessed by Argonaut, whose medical experts will base their assessment insofar as possible on the written details you provide. Argonaut will then provide the SVB will a medical opinion. Finally, the SVB will decide on your claim.
The purpose of the assessment is to determine the extent to which a child is dependent on care, assistance and supervision. What is the child capable of doing independently? Is the child able to wash him or herself, dress or undress, etc.? Does the child suffer from serious behavioural disturbances, show aggression, have a tendency towards self-mutilation?

The following factors are considered:

  • personal hygiene;
  • continence / incontinence;
  • ability to eat and drink unaided;
  • mobility;
  • medical assistance (does the child need assistance in taking medicine, etc.);
  • behaviour;
  • communication;
  • assistance needed inside and outside the home;
  • the extent to which the child can keep himself or herself occupied.

We work in partnership with

Filing your taxes quick and easy!

Filing your Dutch income tax return couldn’t be easier! Start by signing up for free. No strings attached. Seriously! Onto your personal MyBlue Page you’ll find a wealth of tools, such as our plain English tax questionnaire. Complete it at your own time and pace. When ready,  it’s our turn. We do the rest!


Calculate your income tax
Calculate your Dutch income tax! For employed and self-employed persons.


Dedicated business tax support for the self-employed and small business owners.